Sunday, October 14, 2007

Knitting funk

Have you ever had one of those weeks where everything you work on looks crappy? This week has been one of those for me -- it's like I have the opposite of the Midas touch.

There's been the first toe-up socks that I'm working on for Joe. I was excited about trying this approach, but unless the 2nd sock goes better than the first I might just stick with cuff down. I just can't seem to turn the heel very well - it looks a little scraggly. Good thing Joe's not a picky recipient! ;)

And then the Halloween shawl. I was so excited about this project: I've been enjoying lace knitting recently; have heard great things about the mystery shawl projects; and have the gorgeous Habu bamboo yarn and some charcoal grey seeds beeds to work with. But so far I haven't been able to get a gauge that is pleasing to my eye. (Yes, I need to take a lesson from Joe's book and be less picky!)

And Dad's Harley Davidson socks. This is the first time my Dad has asked me to make him anything and so I want the Harley socks to be perfect. I have beautiful yarn to work with. I just keep getting lots of pooling. I hate pooling. I've tried about 4 different sock patterns and a couple of different needle sizes to prevent it. But with no joy.

But today I might have officially broken out of the funk. (Yay!) Either that or my perseverance won out. I've found a way to work the Harley socks by combining a plain black yarn with the lovely Harley custom dye. This might just work...

2 comments:

Corwink said...

Oh boy do I know the knitting funk!?!? It happens every so often. On the Halloween knitalong, I like the tighter swatch you did. I think it looks fine. I do have to tell you that I am in LOVE with the Harley yarn and I love what you did with the sock. Your dad is going to love them. If not send them my way!! :-)

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I hope you have broken out of your knitting funk! That's no fun.

Your Harley socks look great! I really like the 2 different colors of yarn!