Sunday, October 12, 2008

Change of pace

Last weekend I decided to put the knitting down and go stamping with a girlfriend. It made for a nice change, and I have some cute Halloween cards and gift tags to show for it. Some fun goody bags will be winging their way to the UK this week.

We don't really celebrate Halloween in the UK, but it's a big deal over here. I kind of like it -- I enjoy seeing the various costumes on the kids in our neighbourhood and like to guess what they are when they arrive at my doorstep trick or treating. Last year was one of my favourites-- the girl was dressed in a big yellow square of foam. I though ha ha this is easy, you are Sponge Bob Square Pants. Alas no she informed me, she was a big piece of cheese! It was only a moment later that her friends, the cat and the mouse, appeared to round out the theme for me. (If you are not fron the US, you may be like me in thinking that Halloween is for dressing up in scary costumes... but it turns out any costume will do. )

The other reason I enjoy Halloween is that, for me, it marks the kick-off of the holiday season - Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas. And I love the holiday season.

So, speaking of Christmas, thanks for the advice on the projects -- I picked up the Christmas crafting again and worked some more on the red ribbon lace scarf. This is going to be really pretty when done, and I'm excited to gift to the intended recipient. It's a simple pattern repeat and is proving to be a perfect project as I'm getting caught up on the new seasons of Greys Anatomy, Brothers and Sisters etc...

I also worked on another Christmas gift (although I'm wondering if this will really be done by then). It's another version of Dulle Griet's Bobby's Blanket. This time in Araucania cotton. I had a few leftovers of this yarn, and purchased some more to complement. I think it's going to be a fun blanket. And I love working on these addictive hexagons. This version especially because each side is only 10 stitches so it goes super fast! Jeanie asked (sorry Jeanie I had no way to contact you - I hope you see this) whether it is a difficult pattern. It's not. Anyone who can work socks on dpns can whip out one of these with ease. So get dipping into your leftover sock yarn ;o)

I received a couple of hints from Joe to work on his big sweater, so that's progressing nicely with the big chunky yarn and fat needles. And the weather this weekend has been perfect for huddling indoors -- cool, misty, damp... Perfect for sitting by the fire with a big cup of tea and basket full of projects.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pattern for you scarf is BEAUTIFUL!

Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, and Brothers and Sisters are how I catch up on my stitching too.

Bea said...

Love the lace scarf and the hexagon blankets.

Bea said...

OH I forgot to say the spider stamping is cool too. I think I like halloween for the same reason you do. Its the kick off of the holiday season and at the start of my favorite season of the year.

Anonymous said...

Cute stamping projects!

I think it's just one big holiday time for us here from Halloween to Valentine's Day!

Corwink said...

Love the cards! The scarf is looking great. At the rate your going you should have it done real soon.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I love the Halloween cards!! Your scarf and blanket are looking great. You'll be finished in no time :D

Stacey said...

You have GOT to bring both of your hexagon blankets with you the next we knit together. I LOVE them!!! I just may need to use up some of my patagonia/nature cotton stash this way.

Donna said...

I love Halloween! It's aalways been my favorite holiday.

I finally did your 6 Random Things About Me. Better late then never?
http://surfdonna.blogspot.com/2008/10/6-random-things-about-me.html

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

I just finished a lace ribbon scarf like your red one, and I love it like no other! I have even caught my too-cool-for-school 12-year old wearing it around when she thinks I am not looking. I agree that it is a most enjoyable knit - I already have some merino wool and silk blend in line for number 2.
N

Anonymous said...

the cards, the gifts, the slippers. . . . . . it seriously does not get better than having a sister who is a master crafter and an expert at lovely surprises too.

thank you my lovely sister, i truly have the greatest slippers in the world (and Chas is completely obsessed with his parachuting Halloween characters)!!x

love jac.xxx