Saturday, January 17, 2015

Rustic Cowl

Last summer we took a trip to Santa Fe, NM. During that trip we visited an open air art market where there was a gentleman spinning directly from a Navajo Angora Goat fleece. I'd only ever seen spinning done from pristine, fluffy clouds of fiber, so it was fascinating to watch this fella work straight from the fleece. The outcome was this delightfully rustic yarn.  Of course I needed a skein :)

Handspun goat

Side note:  Does anyone else find spinning mesmerizing?  I could have pulled up a chair and spent the afternoon quite happily watching this man work his crafty magic, and watching the world go by.

This particular skein of Oasis fibers yarn comes courtesy of Hermione... just look at her golden fleece:

Hermione

Hermione

I didn't know the yardage on this, but figured there was enough to make myself a cowl.  Using some chunky 15mm needles I cast on 45 stitches and started knitting back and forth until I ran out of yarn.  There's really not much to it, but a perfect instant gratification project.

I like how the end result is a little unusual, as well as being versatile - cowl, capelet, scarf...  All this and it is delightfully soft too.

Rustic cowl

Rustic cowl

The buttons are handmade by Phydeaux yarns.  The buttons came from my stash, but couldn't have been more perfect - their colour picked up on some of the subtle bronze tones in the fleece. 

Rustic cowl

Phydeaux buttons

Wishing you a lovely weekend,
Sam xxx

2 comments:

Ginx Craft said...

What a great rustic look. I love the fact that you know exactly who produced your wool.

Monica said...

Great story and beautiful, unique cowl. I not only find spinning mesmerizing but addictive as well. I'm sure you can tell by the amount of handspun I am producing lately ;-)