Sunday, June 07, 2015

Pink Pop Socks

The weather in Colorado has finally turned from a rather unusual gloomy and wet few weeks, to summer! (Well summer interspersed with hail storms, tornado warnings and some crazy rain!). On the sunny weekend days I've been enjoying some R&R in our back garden, which has included knitting on these 'pink pop socks' while our little water baby runs through the garden sprinklers, or wallows in the inflatable pool.

Socks

The socks started out with a really fun pattern, but I was simply too frazzled from work to do anything but a plain vanilla sock. So I ripped them back and reverted to my old faithful pattern. The yarn is from Creatively Dyed and is a lovely mix of cream, brown, burnt orange, hot pink and navy. 

Second sock

Purple toe for my sock

As I was knitting, the dominant colors appeared to be the burnt orange and brown. Which is nice, except I was really hoping the hot pink would pop out. It was at that point I decided to add a heel and toe in a similar hot pink handspun yarn to really make that pink pop... it did the trick! Love how this turned out.

In other yarny news, I've been shopping! I should know to avoid my local yarn store because there is always something to tempt me. And sure enough there was this lovely Anzula Nebula yarn in shades of olive, some fun hot pink Madeleine Tosh, and this gorgeous gradient yarn from the Neighbourhood Fiber Co.

Anzula Nebula

MadTosh

Neighborhood Fiber Co

Lastly, I've picked up knitting squares for the Bertie's Blankets - the hospice blankets. These are a really simple square to knit from the Kraft Tanken Patches pattern - free Ravelry download. A couple of you had asked if I was still collecting squares... I'd really love it if you could donate one of these sock yarns squares for the next Bertie's Blanket. Thank you.

BB squares

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead and fun summer plans.
Love, Sam xxx

3 comments:

Andi G said...

Love those socks! The contrasting heels and toes makes me happy. :)
I would be more than happy to create some squares for the next blanket. Thank you for including us!

Unknown said...

Great socks! I love the variegation. And that pink MadTosh is AMAZING! I can't wait to see what you make with it.

Monica said...

Nice socks, my friend! It makes me so happy to learn that you are still collecting squares...as I never got to send a few that I completed last year. Super shame on me. You have no idea how bad I felt for not making that trip to the post office. It is a great project and I love that you are doing it again. You are the best!!